Sunday, November 23, 2008

Letting Go of the Past!

I learned a lesson this weekend. I realized that I never, really, truly knew the meaning of letting go the past to move into the future. I was hanging on to a bit of my past that was just unhealthy. The thing is, I didn't even realize it until something happened late, last week. But, once I did, it took me 7 hours and 32 minutes to let that part of my past go. It wasn't easy, but I had to do it . I kept repeating to myself, LIFE IS SO SHORT, WHY CARRY THIS AROUND! My intention is not to preach, but let me tell you I felt a huge weight lift off my back (too bad it wasn't weight). I, also, realized that I wasn't paying enough attention to what was happening to me. I remember reading somewhere to take five minutes everynight to reflect on the days events. It's the best way to figure out what you did that day and how it impacts where you want to go. I started doing that and it has opened my eyes. Again, nothing is rocket science, when you know what you want out of life!!! All this reflection reminds me of a quote from President Kennedy that I read years ago, "Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future." Why hold on to something that can't be change? There is no point to it. Live life, for we only get one to make the most of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom told me the most interesting thing yesterday. I'm in the middle of a break-up, and she told me not to try to forget the past, but to allow it to become part of who I carry with me into the future. She said the next guy I date will get a little piece of this exe, another exe, etc. by me allowing them to become part of who I am. I thought that was interesting. ;)

Anonymous said...

So true Rosy...why hold onto the past. Nice post!

Unknown said...

WTG Rosy! I love that quote, so true. I agree. It's tough not to dwell on the past but if you dwell too much on the past it just brings you (and everyone around you) down. So true!

Anonymous said...

It is important to cherish your past, but live in the present. We all to often forget that. Great post! :-)