Monday, December 1, 2008

Cups and Spoons (my trick to losing extra weight)

This past week, we, in America, celebrated Thanksgiving. We traditionally get Thanksgiving and the day after Thanksgiving off, which means most of us get a four day weekend. Thanksgiving marks the start of holiday eating, in other words, overeating. Not only do we eat; Turkey, stuffing (dressing), mashed potatoes, veggies in a butter bath, yams loaded with brown sugar and marshmallows and yummy rolls, we eat it all. Some of us eat tamales, mac and cheese, green bean casserole and ham, just to name few dishes. Oh and let's not forget desserts; pumpkin pies, sweet potato pies, apple pies, german chocolate cake and pecan pie, again just to name a few desserts. We just load up on the calories. It would fine if we all just ate one huge meal on Thanksgiving, but typically we make so much food that we eat the same meal for the four days. YIKES! WOW! I'm mean great food, but not so great on our bodies and minds. All this overeating makes us want to do nothing but sit in front of the T.V. and naps. I have always said, have a party, have your guests bring plastic containers/bags. Let's share the worth that is called leftovers. If you are one of those we continued to celebrate Thanksgiving throughout the four day weekend, I have a simple solution for you.
First of all, don't call yourself names like; I'm a loser, I'm a failure, I'm a fatso and/or I'm a moron, again just to name few. There is no point to it, believe me, I know. Just chalk up the last four days as, "I screwed up and, now, I need to get back on track." Second, get your measuring cups and spoons out (don't have any, go buy some). Now, this is not a proven scientific method, I use it to lose some pounds:

Breakfast:
1 whole egg, 1 egg white with 2 cups of veggies of your choice.
1 piece of whole grain toast.
or
1 cup of oatmeal with fruit
with non-fat/1% or soy milk (use proper serving, use your measure cups)
or
any whole grain cereal (use proper serving, use your measure cups)
drink with non-fat/1% or soy milk (again use the proper serving)

Lunch and Dinner:
1 cup - start filling the cup with your protein (chicken, lean beef, lean pork, whatever you want)- remember protein (meat) isn't brown sugar, no packing please.
1/2 cup - start filling the cup with a starch carb (sweet potato or brown rice)
2 cups -start filling the cup with any kind of veggies you want, if you want more, load up.
If you want a salad (load it up with greens, tomatoes, red onion, any veggie you want).
Dressing (either use lemon/lime juice or take your measure spoons and measure 1 tablespoon of dressing.)

snacks:
non-fat/1% cottage cheese, an medium apple or orange, a serving of nuts (almonds or walnuts).

Third, drink plenty of water. And, finally, increase your workouts by 15-20 minutes. Within a few days, you will see a difference.
I got the idea about using measuring cups and spoons, when my youngest sister was first diagnosed with Diabetes Type 1 (she was 10, I was 12 years old). I read all her materials and pay attention when the doctor spoke with my parents. It just makes sense.

Again, I'm sharing what I do with those who read this post. I'm not a nutritionist, a nurse or a doctor, just someone who has used this method for years.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No question it is much more challenging this time of the year in the states. So much festivities going on. I definitely like to increase my workouts to maintain. Nice post!

Unknown said...

I need to do this! My downfall is baking. I always use this as excuse but I try to pass along the goodies to other people to take home.