Friday, June 4, 2010

Coach John Wooden

It's been awhile that I have written a blog post. My brain has been going through a lot lately. But, tonight, after hearing of the passing of Coach John Wooden, I had to write. I love sports for many reasons. I love the competition and the drama. I love what sports usually represents- TEAM WORK. Because it's so true, there is no I in TEAM.

When the UCLA's Men Basketball team went back to the NCAA National Championship game in 1995, I was introduced to the Wizard of Westwood, Coach John Wooden. I heard about his famous Pyramid of Success, his 10 National Championships, and his speech on putting on socks the correct way at the start of every new season, just to name a few. I read how he truly cared about his players and treated everyone with respect. I found him fascinating. I found him exciting. I found him just plain awesome. I said, "WOW, why don't we have coaches like him today? Imagine the state of our sports teams in America?" He represented the reason why I love sports. I have since read several of his books.

I'm so grateful that we have the technology to just go on a site like youtube and hear him speak. Listening to him, I am always reminded, that it's never too late to be greater. He reminds me that only you can stop you for achieving what you want out of life. He reminds me to appreciate what I have.

Coach John Wooden- you will be missed, but you will, truly, never be forgotten.

I have attached Coach Wooden's TED Talk. If after listening to him doesn't inspire you, I don't know what to tell you. And remember in the words of this great coach, "Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I couldn't view the clip but I'll definitely look it up!
Now I know why I love you--you're a team player. One of my pet peeves, co-workers who AREN'T.
Hope you are doing okay